Friday, January 27, 2012

What do my Windsor Newton gouache colors correspond to on the color wheel?

I know this may sound ridiculous but I bought 12 tubes of gouache and I was wondering what each one was on the color wheel. I figured out some but I'm unsure of others.



Here is what I have figured out:

Primary Yellow - (Yellow)

Primary Blue - (Blue)

Primary Red - (Red)

Turquoise Blue (Blue Green)



Here is what I'm unsure of:

Golden Yellow

Marigold Yellow

Orange Lake Deep

Magenta

Light Purple

Periwinkle Blue

Brilliant Green

Permanent Green Light



Again, I know this sounds ridiculous but please help me out.



Thanks
What do my Windsor Newton gouache colors correspond to on the color wheel?
Below is a link to W%26amp;N Gouache colour chart - it's laid out just like the colour wheel from Lemon Yellow up to Linden Green (which would be next to Lemon Yellow on its left). The rest are earth colours so won't be on the wheel.

Check your colours in the order they appear on the chart, that's where they'll be on the wheel.



http://www.winsornewton.com/products.asp...



The previous answerer's idea of painting your own colour wheel will help make your colour theory very easy to understand.
Reply:Paint a swatch of each and compare to the color wheel you are using. They won't all match colors on the wheel but you will see where they fit in the scheme of colors, i.e. cool or warm, shade,or tint etc.



Johannes Itten "The Elements of Color" will help with color theory and Itten's 12 part color circle is excellent.
riding boots

No comments:

Post a Comment